Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bed in Summer

Tonight I told my little girl it was time to go to bed. She looked shocked, pointed at the window and said, 'It still daytime'!
(=
That reminded me of when I was little and had to go to bed when it was still light outside. I would, of course, complain and then my mom would recite this poem. 

In winter I get up at night 
And dress by yellow candle-light. 
In summer quite the other way, 
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see 
The birds still hopping on the tree, 
Or hear the grown-up people's feet 
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you, 
When all the sky is clear and blue, 
And I should like so much to play, 
To have to go to bed by day?

Robert Louis Stevenson


I always liked to hear it! She would say it cheerfully with lots of animation.  
So now I get to say it to my little girl! (=

2 comments:

  1. Mommy Troyer had a book with that poem in it and I remember reading it over and over when we would visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I should read it to mine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete