Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Little Brown Mouse

Today as my kids and I were cleaning up I was reminded of a story I loved when I was a little girl.
I would sit on my Gramma's lap and listen as she read. It was one of my favorites and I chose it over and over. She read with great expression, too! 
Maybe that is why it helped me so much, later on in life...? 
The lesson stuck anyway.
I want to share it with ya'll. It might not be exactly right but it is as I remember it and you will get the point, I think! :)


 The Little Brown Mouse

The little brown mouse with a little brown dress loved to dance and she loved red!! She danced to bed at night and danced out of bed in the morning. [Without coffee???? Wow, she is amazing] She danced through the streets to market and she danced home again. She only stopped to eat her lunch and dinner! 
She didn't clean and she certainly DIDN'T sweep the floor!
But one day Grandma Mouse stopped by for a visit! She was beautiful and wise and VERY clean! She did not sit down because Little Brown Mouse only had one chair and it was piled high with 'stuff' and was very dusty. Grandma Mouse ran her finger over the chair and said softly,'Why Little Brown Mouse, you should clean first and then dance in a clean house!'
But after Grandma Mouse left did Little Brown Mouse listen? 
NNNOOO!!
 She said to herself;
'Tomorrow, I will clean and scrub 
all day in the house,
 But today I will dance 
 like a Little Brown Mouse!'
And she danced out of the house and down the street to market. On the way there she passed the Dress Maker's Shop and there in the window was the most beautiful red dress the Little Brown Mouse had ever seen!

She stopped and looked at the dress. Then she said to herself, 'I MUST have that dress!' So she went in and bought it. They wrapped it up real pretty and she danced all the way home with the package under her arm. 
At home she took the dress carefully from the box and slipped it on. It was perfect! Twirling and spinning and skipping, she danced all day. That night she put it carefully in the box and went to bed.
In the morning she awoke and slipped the beautiful red dress on.
 It was SO beautiful she said to herself, 
'I can't scrub the house in this dress so I will go to Market first'.
 So she danced out the door and down the street. On the way to market she went past the Florist and there in the window she saw a beautiful Red Rose Hair Clip.

She stopped to look at that hair clip. Then she said to herself 
'I MUST have that Hair Clip!' 
So she went in and bought it!
 With the rose in her hair the Little Brown Mouse danced all the way home, stopping often to admire herself in the windows. At home she forgot about cleaning and danced the day away. 
And Pretty, Wise Grandma Mouse stopped by again.
She didn't stay. Sadly she ran her finger over the table and said softly,
 'Little Brown Mouse NEEDS to clean her house!'
But the Little Brown Mouse said to herself, 
'Tomorrow, I will clean and scrub 
all day in the house,
 But today I will dance 
 like a Little Brown Mouse!'
So she danced the day away.
The next morning the Little Brown Mouse awoke and clipped the Red Rose in her hair. She slipped on the pretty red dress and looked at herself in the mirror. Then she said to herself, 'I am to pretty to scrub my house,so instead I will go to Market first'.

So she danced down the street to Market. 
On the way she passed the Shoe Makers Shop and there in the window she saw a sparkling pair of red shoes

She stopped and looked at those shoes. Then she said to herself 'I MUST have those shoes'!! So she went in and bought those beautiful red shoes! 
She danced all the way home! And she danced till dinner and she danced afterward. She danced far into the night. Finally she changed into her nightie and crashed into her bed! 
In the morning the sun came in and woke the Little Brown Mouse. She sat on the edge of her bed tired and yawning. Then she saw her dress!! It was covered with dust! So was the rose. And her shoes were kicked off under the table and they looked terrible. 
The little Brown Mouse got up, dressed in her brown dress. She picked up her Red Dress, shook off the dust and hung it in her closet, then she blew off the rose and put it in its box. She cleaned her shoes and set them in her closet. 
And then she filled a bucket with hot, soapy water and with a rag she scrubbed her house til it shone! 
 Then she put on her red dress, her red shoes and her red rose and she went dancing about the house singing,
 'Its better to rub and scrub
 all day in the house
 and dance at NIGHT
 like a Little Brown Mouse!'

19 comments:

  1. This is so you my dear friend...I love it as I love you....may I share it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this story! I remember reading it myself as a child from the old grey tattered outdated schoolbook!About a year ago i found that same schoolbook in among my parents books and read that story again! Maybe i acquired a love for it because mummy used to read it and my subconscious mind remembered that?? Thanks for sharing!!(: your big "little" sis..(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please email me the name of the schoolbook I had one as a child and lost it in a fire this was my favorite story I still love to wear red and dance 57 and a grandma now! My email is ritaboydston@yahoo.com retired reading professor and former kindergarten teacher from Alabama love your blog! By the way,I have been looking for this book for years my Mother said Rita you lived the story of Little Brown Mouse and it is so true I conducted a study and found adults formed much of their identity according to their favorite character from a story...would love to share with you if you are interested.

      Delete
  3. I think I remember it so well because of mummy and I would love to get a hold of one of those old schoolbooks again for my kids to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whispers of Harmony, do you know which book this was from? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog by searching for this story for my mother. Any information and help would be appreciated. Thank you so much, jstyus@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The storybook you are looking for featuring the little brown mouse who loves to dance is in a Dick and Jane reader for second graders. MORE FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS is the title. A number of copies are currently available on eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the book on Amazon. This story is what helped me develop good daily habits when it came to cleaning my house. Thank you for leading me to this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can you please lead or link me to it?
      thank you

      Delete
  8. I have been trying to find this story for years!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally. Thank you so much. I have been looking for this book for years. I thought it was in the Ginn Basic Readers so I bought several volumes dating back to 1948. I cannot thank you enough. I love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the book and made a simple Powerpoint Presentation of Little Mouse Dances. I am sending it to the two addresses above.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, have remembered that story for years and have searched for it, too. Today I found your blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember this story from grade school. I loved it then and still do. What a joy to find it here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://archive.org/details/morefriendsneigh0000gray/mode/2up?q=little+mouse+dances+elizabeth+upham

    !FOUND! the "Little Brown Mouse" Dick and Jane book.
    I placed the Link that will go directly to the book at the top of this message for you to enjoy. This book has other stories you'll remember too. Ah, memories shared. Your Welcome.

    How I found it: Archive.org - searched for little mouse dances Elizabeth Upham Then click "SEARCH TEXT CONTENTS" then click "GO". Find the Third book with the sleds on it called "More friends and Neighbors" This one will open up for you to read for free, no need to sign in. The others will not open unless you sign in.
    Many regards,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've thought many times about the Little Brown Mouse (although I couldn't remember the name of the story or the book in which the story appeared) during the 60 years since I read it in the second grade. Thanks to you I can revisit a place of innocence and tranquility through "Friends and Neighbors," "More Friends and Neighbors," and "The New More Friends and Neighbors" that I found on abebooks.com. Thanks for the memory and the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always loved this story. I think I was in first or second grade when I read it in my school reader. Our teacher would go around the room and call on different children to read a paragraph. By the time my turn came we were at the end of the story and I got to do the little song…I actually made up a tune and sang it😘🎶. I still have that tune in my head at 71 years old😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please, can you tell me the title of the book

    ReplyDelete